Debugging Kindle Fire Apps using Eclipse on Ubuntu Linux


The Android Robot, downloaded from <; courtesy of via the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license

When I first tried to test an Android app I’ve been developing on’s marvelous Kindle Fire tablet, I couldn’t get Eclipse, which was running on Ubuntu, to connect to the tablet. A quick Google search told me that it should work and I even found directions on how to make it work. Frustratingly, none of the directions I found and followed got Eclipse and the tablet talking to each other. The two began talking with each other only after I created a new set of directions from elements of others’ directions. This is what I did.

1. I added the “adb” program to my system path variable by editing my “~/.bashrc” file.  There are multiple ways to do this and I leave it up to my readers to choose the best way for their systems.

2. On the Kindle Fire I went into Settings and I then toggled “Allow Installation of Applications From Unknown Sources” on the Device screen to “Yes”.

WARNING: Copying and pasting from the web to the text editor seems to mess up quotation marks when editing files in steps 3 and 4. Also, copying and pasting from my text editor to my blog editor messes up quotation marks. The quotation marks in the lines in steps 3 and 4 are wrong as they appear. You should type them in your text editor yourself to avoid problems.

3.  I added “0x1949″ and “0x0006″, on separate lines without the quotes, to the file named “~/.android/adb_usb.ini”.

4.  I added “SUBSYSTEM==”usb”,SYSFS{idVendor}==”1949″,MODE=”0666″, GROUP=”plugdev””, minus the outermost quotation marks, to the file “/etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules”. This file didn’t exist for me, so I created it.

5. I used CHMOD to make the file “51-android.rules” accessible from other accounts on my system.

6. I rebooted. NOTE: I had to completely shutdown and reboot my PC to make things work. A hot reboot wasn’t sufficient for me.

7. I made sure everything worked by debugging my app on the tablet from inside Eclipse.

I hope these directions spare my readers the frustration I experienced.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Computers, Technology and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Debugging Kindle Fire Apps using Eclipse on Ubuntu Linux

  1. Tushar Kumar says:

    Very important post. Thanks

  2. Alex B. says:

    does not work for me.
    I have android sdk revision 12, kindle fire version 6.2.
    Is the syntax for 51-android.rules regarding == and = correct?

  3. Alex B. says:

    In fact, this was not a total failure. I noticed that one problem was
    “0×1949″ and “0×0006″, it should be “0x1949″ and “0x0006″
    now after restarting adb I see:
    List of devices attached
    ???????????? no permissions
    Any ideas?

    • aspergerite says:

      Only two ideas at present.

      1. Are you cutting and pasting between the web and your text editor? I noticed that for some reason the quotation marks were getting messed up when I used cut and paste. The messed up quotation marks mattered for my installation. Rereading my blog post, I see that the quotation marks never did appear right on my blog. I’ll add a warning about the quotation marks to my post. Thanks for calling this to my attention.

      2. Also, I was unable to debug on my Kindle until I completely shutdown and restarted my PC.

      If you need more help, let me know via another comment and I’ll try to help you.

  4. Alex B. says:

    Success!! Thanks a million.
    Yes, cut/paste was the problem. Interesting that scite works fine, the problem was gedit.
    People, be aware!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s